We had a Let’s Work: How can SEO help me? SEO for beginners from the Digital Career Institute last week at iwibdus. Donnita George and Abhiruchi Sharma came to talk to us about how you can improve your website ranking with SEO and how DCI can offer job seekers, a new career path.
What is Search Engine Optimisation?
Search engine optimization (SEO) refers to the process of improving your site’s organic traffic and ranking on search engines such as Google, Bing, and other search engines.
It’s about the customer buying journey and helping your customer with the type of things they search with on key words to find your website.
There are 3 ideas on what SEO looks at: On page, Off Page and Technical
Foundations of the SEO
The foundation of the SEO is creating your customer persona for the customer. You need to create one and think about them when you are creating your website and key words.
Questions to Answer about Your Customer Persona
- Who are they? Demographics such as gender, age, and education. Give them a name!
- What is their job? Data such as title, company size, industry, and general job responsibilities
- What are their primary pain points? Describe the primary challenges they are trying to overcome that relate to your products and services
- What do they value most and what are their goals? Explain what they value most in making a purchase decision (price, support, etc.), what they are trying to accomplish in each application?
- Where do they go for information? Identify the primary sources they use to gather information in their research and purchase decision process.
- What’s important to them in selecting a vendor? List what is most important, such as being a technology leader, having proven experience, being a domain expert, etc. What are their needs in terms of speed of delivery? Quality of product? How do they know the product is correct?
What keywords does your customer type in? Phrases that they use and phrases that google uses or see as relevant?
Exact matches are not important as the AI has moved on, but intent has to match your key words and their search. There are 2 or 3 times more popular words when searching for your product so you should be using them.
3 SEO keyword tools to use
MOZ ranking moz.com/products/pro/rank-tracking
Ahrefs Ranking ahrefs.com/rank-tracker
Answer the Public answerthepublic.com
Meta Data is essential. You ned the title and the meta description in the page so Google can find your headings, and what the page is about. This short, relevant summary is adding value to your customers.
- Create one for each page
- It needs to be an engaging description
- Use keywords and phrases
- Keep it under 155 characters
Alt tags are describing the pictures in your blog or website. You need to have descriptions for them as the Google AI can’t tell what IMG:12345 is, but does understand “iwibdus Logo”.
This helps drive traffic to your site if the keywords are in the alt tags too.
Off Page SEO
Google My Business – you need this for each business and you can create call to action buttons, how to enrol, or reviews from clients.
This is making sure your technical website in the background is SEO friendly. It is website speed, easy navigational language and other technical aspects that help the SEO.
Thank you Abi and Donnita for your quick guide to SEO and DCI.
Here are the checklist and details for DCI if you would like to sign up for a course that teaches you how to do all this and become the expert to teach others.