Frazer Jones and iwibdus have collaborated again for a second but now online workshop “How to Get a Job Interview in Germany”.
Frazer Jones has been recruiting for the HR market in Germany since 2008. Their local presence in Düsseldorf gives them the advantage and knowledge of the German HR landscape and expert knowledge of the industry. They are the only global leading specialist HR recruitment consultancy with a network of 11 international offices. Their team recruit across the financial services, professional services and commerce & industry sectors.
Katharina and James ran the 2 hour course. We discussed the structure of your CV, the Dos and Dont’s of a CV and James told us some horror stories about people’s CV business Headshots.
If you are looking for someone to do your headshots, Dena Barrie at Everyday Images is a member of the iwibdus network and she did our headshots. Check her out if you need one.
The 10 Summary Points that I took away were:
- Highlight your Strengths – be clear on what you can offer an organisation.
- Be creative if you work in a creative industry – we saw examples of amazing CVs that were very creative. If you aren’t in a creative industry – a normal format is fine.
- Be detailed but ensure any details are relevant – Germans love details so dont miss anything out but make sure it is relevant to this job.
- Explain your gaps (anything over 2 months). Be honest! Explain if you were moving house or you were doing training. This is all important to a German Recruiter
- More than 2 pages for a German Market is ok – James said he had seen good relevant 5+page CVs.
- Have a Linkedin Page and a Xing page– make sure you are active on these platforms. People will check.
- Speak to the Hiring Manager if you can – call them and talk about the role
- Make sure you have the mandatory skills – don’t apply unless you meet the mandatory requirements. Don’t waste everyone’s time!
- Apply with a tailored CV and covering letter – obvious one but you need to tailor to the specific job.
- If you don’t hear back in 7 working days, ask for feedback. Be polite!
We plan to have more of these events as this one was sold out in just 2 hours!
Thank you again to Frazer Jones and Katharina and James (with Robert in the supporting role). We really appreciated the training session!