Do you have a goal in mind?
Do you feel fear every time you feel like trying to achieve it?
Do you keep it for yourself because you are afraid others think you are a fool?
You are not alone,…
you are only frightened,
but that is awesome!!!
Ok, I know, it doesn’t feel like it. But let me explain. Fear is an ancient feeling, we needed it to survive. When we were caveman, it made us ran away from animals and that kept us alive.
Our world has changed, we no longer have to run away from animals but we still have this feeling of fear when getting out of our confort zone, feeling of fear of trying hard and failing, feeling of fear for having too high of a goal. We feel fear and we paralyze.
But there is good news, when you feel fear that means you are on the right path. It means that you found a goal that is challenging enough to make you grow. It means you have a dream to pursue.
So what do I do now?
These are some things you could try:
- Try to rationalize your fear: why are you feeling like that? What is the worst thing that could happen if you try? What is the worst thing that can happen if you go for it?
- Think about times when you confronted your fear achieved something that you wanted, you can do it again!
- Be confident in yourself and listen to your intuition. If every time you listen to it the same goal comes up, that is a clear sign that you have to go for it.
- Answer to this question: what do you rather, regret not giving it a try or not finding out if you could do it?
- Talk to others about your goal and look for the help that you need. People won’t let you down!
- Remember: you are frightened and that is awesome!! You have a goal to achieve!!
At the International Women in Business Düsseldorf we want to help each other to achieve your goals. Please comment on this post if you liked it and reach out to us if you need help.
Amaia Izar de la Fuente Member of the leadership team of the International Women in Business Düsseldorf